* * * TRAVELER ADVISORY * * *
ADOT PROJECT ON US 60 SUPERIOR-GLOBE TO CAUSE "HEAVY DELAYS"
Read about the projects.
Delays continue on US 60 at Queen Creek Tunnel for rock removal; blasting continues for passing lane project at Oak Flat.
Motorists should plan on 20-minute delays on US 60 east of Superior at the Queen Creek Tunnel and Oak Flat. (Read the full current update here.)
The construction of the two-mile-long climbing lane from Devil’s Canyon to Oak Flat (mileposts 231-233) will require three full closures of US 60 for up to 90 minutes on Tuesday, December 1st and Thursday, December 3rd:
- Tuesday, Dec. 1, at 9 a.m. to 10:30 a.m.
- Thursday, Dec. 3, at 9 a.m. to 10:30 a.m. and again from 1 p.m. to 2:30 p.m.
With a population of 53,500 residents and covering 4,796 square miles, Gila County has always been a great place to live, work and play. Gila County is in Central Arizona and contains the Tonto Apache Reservation and parts of the Fort Apache and San Carlos Reservations. The county was formed in 1881 from parts of Maricopa and Pinal Counties, and later added the northern portion of the county from Yavapai County. Cities and Towns in Gila County include Globe, Hayden, Miami, Payson, Star Valley and Winkelman, along with a large number of rural unincorporated communities. Gila County is located on the northeastern edge of the Sonoran Desert, and covers a wide variety of life zones, including desert, high desert plains, chaparral, pinon-juniper and pine forests. There are a number of popular recreation areas in Gila County, including Roosevelt Lake, Tonto National Monument, Tonto Natural Bridge State Park, and Fossil Creek, along with several designated Wilderness Areas and popular camping areas within the Tonto National Forest.
Events Calendar[CALENDAR HOME]
- ADOT Announces Road Work To Begin on SR 73 in Whiteriver Nov. 9
- Supervisor Pastor to hold Community Meeting in Claypool November 18th
- Gila County Newsletter - Fall 2015
- Prescribed Burn Near Payson - Week of Oct. 5 - Oct. 9
- USFS Announces Initiation of NEPA Process for Fossil Creek